The primary aim of Language Acquisition in the MYP is to encourage students to gain competence in a modern language other than their mother tongue. According to the IB, learning additional languages contributes to the holistic development of students, raises their cultural awareness and enables them to communicate in a language other than their mother tongue.
Currently students at TISA have the opportunity to learn Azerbaijani, French, Spanish, or Russian. Students are encouraged to study the same foreign language throughout the Middle Years Programme (M1-M5). This is to enable them to reach the required level of competency.
TISA aims to contribute in the student’s development under the MYP philosophy and concepts. The language Acquisition program aims are to:
- gain proficiency in an additional language while supporting maintenance of their mother tongue and cultural heritage
- develop a respect for, and understanding of, diverse linguistic and cultural heritages
- develop the student’s communication skills necessary for further language learning, and for study, work and leisure in a range of authentic contexts and for a variety of audiences and purposes
- enable the student to develop multiliteracy skills through the use of a range of learning tools, such as multimedia, in the various modes of communication
- enable the student to develop an appreciation of a variety of literary and non-literary texts and to develop critical and creative techniques for comprehension and construction of meaning
- enable the student to recognize and use language as a vehicle of thought, reflection, self-expression and learning in other subjects, and as a tool for enhancing literacy
- enable the student to understand the nature of language and the process of language learning, which comprises the integration of linguistic, cultural and social components
- offer insight into the cultural characteristics of the communities where the language is spoken
- encourage an awareness and understanding of the perspectives of people from own and other cultures, leading to involvement and action in own and other communities
foster curiosity, inquiry and a lifelong interest in, and enjoyment of, language learning.
- Communicate information, ideas and opinions.
- Demonstrate comprehension of specific factual information and attitudes, expressed in spoken and written contexts.
- Identify main ideas and supporting details and draw conclusions from spoken and written texts.
- Understand and appropriately use structures and vocabulary.
- Request and provide information in both spoken and written contexts.
- Engage actively in oral production using comprehensible pronunciation and intonation.
- Take part in formal and informal exchanges related to the areas of interaction and to cultural and international issues.
- Engaging the students in the process of learning.
- Helping the students understand how they learn best and how their learning is assessed.
- Learning in a meaningful and relevant context.
- Understanding and appreciating differences and similarities in other cultures.
- Providing a rich learning environment.
- Encouraging inquiry, critical thinking and reflection.
- Differentiating instructions, tasks and assessments to enable students to reach their potential at different levels.
- Providing students with specific expectations and rubrics.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|All About me
Seasons and Fashion
All About me
- Talk and ask questions about their family (names, age, countries, nationalities, jobs, interests)
- Talk and write about school, subjects, teachers, likes and dislikes; express opinion about them; to describe classrooms and facilities.
- Discuss the difference between grading system in target language school and in your school.
- Ask for and give information about food and drink.
- Say what they want to eat and drink.
- Express likes and dislikes.
- Order for a meal in a restaurant.
- Describe quantities.
- Talk and write about winter holidays in target language countries and their country.
- Discuss what would be an appropriate gift for a friend and members of family.
- Shop for presents
- Talk and write about daily routine and personal hygiene.
- Tell the time, days of the week, parts of the day.
- Discuss their interest and hobbies including sport and music.
Seasons and Fassion
- Talk about clothes for different weather/seasons, describe them, express likes and dislikes.
- Shop for clothes.
- Give an opinion on wearing school uniform.
- Discuss and give opinions against or for wearing school uniform and justify it.
- Tell and ask what there is and what there is not in your city; say its location, facilities; say the names of different places in a city and describe them, give your opinion about the city.
- Ask for and give directions.
- Discuss what is needed for a perfect city.
- Improve comprehension of factual information expressed in spoken context by practicing listening skills.